|Because teachers are the single most important factor in a student’s academic success, we need to develop an education system that prepares and attracts highly skilled teachers, continually evaluates and professionally develops them, and acknowledges and compensates those who are highly effective.
Teachers are the single most important factor in a student’s academic success. That’s why we need highly skilled teachers who are continually evaluated, professionally developed, and appropriately compensated.
||That’s why we have called for:
Interested in the details of building a system that fosters excellent teaching? It’s all there on pages 17-20 of our report!
- Improving teacher preparation programs so that candidates must demonstrate both content knowledge and instructional skills in order to earn teaching degrees;
- Implementing a teacher evaluation system in which preponderant weight is given to growth in student achievement, in addition to other factors;
- Compensating, supporting and developing teachers throughout their careers to keep effective teachers teaching;
- Making effectiveness (demonstrated through evaluations) the heart of tenure decisions; and
- Attracting highly effective teachers to the most challenged schools.